Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dickcissels and Daintys

First thing this morning I stopped at Tilbury Lagoons. The only non-resident bird was a Solitary Sandpiper, which I think is good for this time of year.  Habitat is excellent for when the shorebirds arrive!
Solitary Sandpiper

I went on down to Point Pelee today.  A bit of a bust in the park as very few butterflies, but lots of stable flies!
Red-breasted Merganser family along West Beach

On the way passing Hillman I heard a couple of Dickcissels along the west side, then at least one along Rd. 19.

A group of 29 Turkey Vultures was near the Tip of the park.

On the way out there was another Dickcissel singing along Rd. 19, a bit closer.

I went into Hillman Marsh and started walking to the shorebird cell.  I met up with Bev Scott and we spotted a Dainty Sulphur.  Then several more.  I estimated that I saw eight by the time I left.  Leaves me to speculation they colonized there.  These tiny butterflies were difficult to photograph!




We located a singing male Dickcissel.  I saw another shortly after, then yet another near the SE corner of the cell.  These birds were too far away to get a decent photo.

Needless to day, shorebirds were very few.  Besides noisy Killdeer were two Semipalmated Sandpipers, two Dunlin and a Black-bellied Plover.

I also saw a single Fiery Skipper along the trail.

After a quick lunch, I stopped by the Camper's Cove Dickcissel spot briefly.  Multiple birds here. I heard reports of up to 11!
Black-billed Cuckoo at De Laurier

Nothing noteworthy on the way home.  Very few spots to check since it is mostly 100% agricultural fields!

1 comment:

  1. Good shot of the Dainty Sulphurs. My lifer butterflies have been many this year but that's one I still need to see.

    ReplyDelete