Friday, February 24, 2017

Late March errr...February Arrivals

What a week!  With the exceptionally warm weather, spring birds have arrived like there was no tomorrow. Waterfowl, Killdeer, American Robins, blackbirds have arrived in big numbers.  Although not unusual to see these this time of year, the sheer numbers were amazing.



I was at work all week and not able to get out much to look around, but reports have indicated some record early arrivals.  How about Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs?  Indeed the Greater at Long Point and the Lesser at Hillman Marsh were a month early.
In the lep department, some Eastern Commas have also been reported.



Today, we received a heavy thunderstorm before 4 p.m.  Lightning was all over the place, while the rain came down in buckets.
I left work a bit early and headed up the St. Clair River not seeing much due to the torrential downpour.  Wintering ducks have certainly thinned out while dabbling ducks have arrived in good numbers. Too many Mute Swans were at Cathcart Park, but there were several Tundra Swans as well.





I have been checking Stewart Wetland each morning.  Large flocks of blackbirds stream north off Walpole Island.  I have yet to see a Sandhill Crane though.
This morning I got a nice surprise in the form of a Snowy Owl flying off the island and heading towards Stewart Line.

not today's bird!


Late this afternoon I went as far north as Seager Park, one of my favourite stops.  When I was little, we had many picnics there in the summer, so there are many memories.

Yes, I remember the South American!


I took a slight detour inland and at Bickford and Greenfield Roads, there was a huge flock of blackbirds.  Since Lambton eBird is somewhat out of whack, they are still rare there!  The several hundred blackbirds certainly made for a lot of rare birds!

So long till tomorrow....



No comments:

Post a Comment