Saturday, February 25, 2017

Rondeau to Hillman, 25 February

Early this morning I headed down to Rondeau Park.  I met up with Jim Burk and we checked out south point trail and the campground.  There was not much to be seen on south point, but some waterfowl was on the move.
Of note, a Surf Scoter was seen and up to 18 White-winged Scoters.  It continues to be a decent winter for scoters in the area.
The campground had a decent flock of birds at the south end, but it was fast-moving and we never got a look at all of the birds.  At one point I heard a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, so that one has made it through the winter!
A couple of Purple Finches, scarce this winter, were also on the move.
At the north end, I caught sight of the Yellow-rumped Warbler.  There were two at one point in the winter.
On the Bay, a number of Canvasback were at the north end.



After leaving the park, I decided to keep going all the way to Hillman Marsh.  The last few days there has been a good number of waterfowl at the shorebird cell.  Today was no exception!



Three Ross's and five Snow geese were among the Canada Geese.  (three Ross's were present yesterday as well).


I checked the gulls for a Mew.  It is a good time for one!  The last one was at this time of year in 2002.
There was an exceptional number of Gadwall in the cell.  I estimated at least 250.





A good number of American Wigeon, Northern Pintail, and Green-winged Teal were also around.



Even the 50 Ring-necked Ducks was a good number for the cell.
A Pied-billed Grebe was the only member of that family present.

It was very windy and cold there, so after well over an hour there, I headed out.
On the way home I drove by St. Clair NWA.  This croaker was on the road!



As I headed up Heron Line, I came aross a large flock of gulls.  Among the Herring was a Glaucous, Lesser Black-backed and 8 Great Black-backed.




Towards Mitchell's Bay, in the Mallard/Marsh/Winter Lines area, I counted 7 Snowy Owls.  So, many are still around!

The wind picked up and the temperature dropped as the day worn on, so I guess we are back to more seasonal weather!


No comments:

Post a Comment